University of Phoenix Offers Full-Tuition Scholarships for Arizona Teachers
Arizona Forward recently announced its partnership with the University of Phoenix, whereby it will offer three full-tuition scholarships to deserving Arizona K-12 teachers. Under the terms of the scholarship program, three teachers from across the state will get the opportunity to complete a program at the University of Phoenix. The program could be:
- An undergraduate program or,
- A master’s degree program
The scholarship program provides educational opportunities to those local educators who have:
- Exhibited sustainable practices in their classrooms and,
- The ability and the will to continue making a difference in their communities
By giving its teachers this opportunity, Arizona Forward believes that it will be able to expand environmental education opportunities for the Arizona teachers.
The announcement came during Arizona Forward’s tenth annual EarthFest Educators Night on October 28 at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. Nearly 400 Arizona teachers attended the event. During the event, they went through nearly 50 exhibits, activities and environmental education resources that would help them mentor the next generation of environmental stewards.
Commenting on the partnership, Diane Brossart, president and CEO of Arizona Forward, said that the support provided by the University of Phoenix would help them educate and mentor the youth to become custodians of the state’s unique desert environment. It would also help them increase awareness levels among the youth about the importance of conserving natural resources. By providing opportunities to local educators, the scholarship program would go a long way toward transforming the youth of today into the leaders of tomorrow – especially in matters concerning the environment.
Arizona Forward and the University of Phoenix invite local educators across Arizona to apply for the University of Phoenix Arizona Forward Scholarship. Interested teachers would need to apply for the scholarship by December 09, 2014. They can access the scholarship application form by clicking here. The adjudicating panel would select the most deserving recipients by January 19, 2015.
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Reside in the United States
- Be current residents of Arizona
- Be working at a P-12 school or school district at present
- Not be currently enrolled in or planning to enroll at a University of Phoenix campus or an online program at any time prior to the scholarship award date
- Meet all the admission requirements specified by the University of Phoenix and the (Master of Arts in Education Degree (MAED) program
- Not be employees or family members of an employee of the:
- Apollo Education Group, Inc.
- University of Phoenix
- Western International University
- Institute for Professional Development or,
- Any other subsidiary of the Apollo Education Group, Inc.
- Submit a complete, signed application along with all the supporting documentation by the due dateSubmit complete essays as specified in the Essay section and,
- Submit one letter of recommendation as prescribed in the Letter of Recommendation section
Teachers often express their concerns about the lack of sufficient information by which they could introduce environmental and sustainable educational opportunities into the classroom. To aid these teachers, Arizona Forward provides an online Environmental Education Directory. This directory features a comprehensive list of curriculum, classroom speakers, field trip opportunities and related materials they could use.
For the uninitiated, Arizona Forward has been instrumental in bringing business and civic leaders together for improving the environment and sustainability of Phoenix Valley communities. Since its inception in 1969, it has been fostering collaboration among large and small business enterprises, government agencies, the non-profit sector and the education community for striking a balance between sustainable economic development vis-à-vis environmental quality.
Similarly, the University of Phoenix, a subsidiary of the Apollo Education Group, Inc., has been a constant pioneer in helping working adults move seamlessly from education to careers in a dynamic environment. Using flexible schedules, relevant and engaging course material and interactive learning tools, it helps students pursue their professional and personal aspirations effectively. The University of Phoenix caters to a diverse student population. It offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs.