At first glance, it might appear as if all careers offer the same things e.g. stability, good-to-high earning capacities, a plethora of responsibilities and challenges. But this is certainly not the case. Some careers offer more rewards than others do. Similarly, some careers always seem to in high demand.
During their years in college, many graduates gain insights into their skills and aptitude. This helps them gain insights into the careers that suit them the best. But this does not apply to all the students in college. Oftentimes, some students remain confused about which careers they should be targeting.
University of California Releases Report on Hottest Careers for College Grads
To help students identify the most rewarding career opportunities going around, the University of California, San Diego Extension, released its 2015 Hot Careers Report recently. The university uses a unique algorithm for identifying careers that offer a combination of:
- Competitive salaries
- High-quality work environments and,
- Strong employment growth
To arrive at this list, researchers compiled a list of jobs after analyzing four general categories. These comprised:
- Current employment levels in the field (30 percent weight)
- The projected employment growth between 2012 and 2022 (30 percent weight)
- The median salary (25 percent weight) and,
- The workplace environment (15 percent weight)
Adding these figures together revealed the hottest jobs in 2015 for college graduates.
1. Software Developers, Applications: These individuals design computer programs to make life easier for people. Software developers usually work in a team. They remain in charge of the entire design process from the conceptualization stage to the delivery stage. From internet games to word processing programs, these professionals ensure that the applications provide a greater user experience without any bugs or glitches.
Job Growth Rate: 23 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $90,060 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $55,190 – $138,880
2. Software Developers, System Software: These professionals design and maintain the systems that people use in the digital world. They ensure that the systems are seamless and simple for the end user. Their core job involves developing and deploying testing systems. In addition, they modify software so that it adapts to new hardware and offers enhanced functionality.
Job Growth Rate: 20 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $99,000 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $62,800 – $148,850
3. Accountants and Auditors: These individuals play a key role in evaluating a company’s financial health. Their work involves forecasting, tracking revenue & expenses, preparing accurate final reports, ensuring the payment of all taxes and fees in a timely manner etc. Typically, accountants and auditors specialize in a specific industry or focus on a specific kind of accounting, such as risk management. Internal auditors help in identifying incidences of financial mismanagement and look for ways to curb inefficiencies. Management accountants prepare and analyze financial documents for internal use only. Public accountants take care of accounting, auditing and tax consulting for their clients.
Job Growth Rate: 13 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $63,550 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $39,930 – $111,510
4. Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists: These professionals analyze social and economic trends, define and attract new customers, and assess the needs of these customers. Typically, they mine databases for gathering data on consumer demographics, study consumer-buying behavior and prepare reports that help the company to target the right audience. They will also research competitors in the sector, analyze pricing strategies and monitor marketing methods. Similarly, marketing specialists craft compelling tactics and strategies based on the data the analysts provide.
Job Growth Rate: 32 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $60,300 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $33,280 – $113,500
5. Cost Estimators: These individuals are responsible for ensuring the creation of projects in the most cost efficient manner possible. For this, they will collect and analyze data to provide accurate estimates of the resources a project needs e.g. time, money and materials. This data will enable them to identify ways for cutting costs and improving profits too. Cost estimators will typically specialize in a specific industry such as construction, manufacturing etc.
Job Growth Rate: 26 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $58,860 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $34,520 – $96,670
6. Computer Network Architects: These professionals are responsible for creating the necessary structures and systems for ensuring that computers can communicate effectively and easily with each other. These individuals typically manage systems that link two offices together or even offices located around the world. The work involves creating plans for data communication systems that detail how the system will meet the needs of the organization. It will involve numerous details such as hardware, software, system design, security measures etc.
Job Growth Rate: 15 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $91,000 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $52,580 – $141,590
7. Management Analysts: These individuals identify ways for improving efficiency and boosting performances in an organization. To do this, they will understand a company’s operations, conduct interviews with employees and managers, and analyze financial data and operations. Thereafter, they will offer their recommendations to the organization, while helping the company’s management implement these recommendations and monitoring the outcome thereafter.
Job Growth Rate: 19 percent from 2012 – 2022
Median Annual Salary: $78,600 (in 2012)
Median Salary Range: $44,370 – $142,580